- Review Jim Blinn's Corner article What is a Pixel?
- Discussed Nyquist's Sampling Theorem and its relevance to digital images.\
- Discussed the block diagram for digital processing of analog signals.
- Discussed the difference between time frequencies and spatial frequencies and how to convert frequencies in space to frequencies in terms of pixels.
- Discussed difficulties in displaying information in the form of digital images and the many processes which are involved in generating a displayed image.
- Perceived images are complex functions of a specific group of sub-optimal systems which at each stage transform the data and, by necessity, remove some information present in the original imaged data.
- Linear Operators
- Pixel Neighborhoods
- Distance Metrics in terms of Pixel Neighborhoods
- Distance Metrics and the p-norm, examples, L-2 or Euclidean Distance, L-1 or Manhattan Distance, and L-inf distance.
- Image Scaling - Zooming and Shrinking
- Linear Interpolation
- Bilinear Interpolation
- Displacement transformations of images
Lecture 8 (Laboratory)
- Displacement transformations of grayscale and color images.
- Lab project assignment overview, discussion, and specification for the format of finished lab reports.
- Tutorial of MATLAB functions, scripts, and image processing functions.